Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Thailand Adventure

The time has come, July 5th at 8:30 am I'll be leaving Salt Lake to embark on my adventure to Thailand and Cambodia. While I've been on many vacations with my family, this'll will be the first time I've ever gone out of the country without them. For those I haven't told, I will be traveling with a Student Volunteer group called ISV (International Student Volunteers). After 3 flights and an hour long ride in vans to our project, our group will arrive at a small (remote) animal sanctuary in Chiang Dao Thailand, far north right next to the border of Burma. The sanctuary, Wildlife 1, is a new animal refuge with a mission to protect endangered wildlife and teach locals about the importance of conservation. Being new, there will be a lot of infrastructure work do, as well as bathing and feeding animals and teaching the local hill tribe communities about endangered wildlife and conservation. My first two weeks will consist of this volunteer work. 

Following the volunteer portion we'll take a flight down south and begin the adventure portion of our tour. Having multiple internet opportunities, this 3rd week will likely be the time I update this blog. for the 2 weeks of the adventure tour we will enjoy the beaches and sunshine of the South, from where we will travel up North to Chiang Mai and experience Northern Thailand. 

After 4 week of volunteer work and adventure, I'll spend 5 more days exploring Cambodia, seeing ancient temples like the famous Angkor Wat. 

I"d like to thank everyone who helped and encouraged me to embark on this great adventure. This is truly an amazing opportunity to volunteer abroad and experience another culture in a way I never have before. I'll do my best to update this as much as I can to let you all know how everything is going! 

3 comments:

  1. I think this is the coolest thing ever! I am very proud of the Con-Man. Write as much a possible, I am looking forward to this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Babs! I'll write in it as much as i can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We’re cheering for you every step of the way! Love You!

    ReplyDelete