Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 4 volunteering


Before I start, I just want to let you know I cannot comment on my own blog! The mobile version isn't letting me. I appreciate the comments though, and If you do comment I can reply to you in a FB message or something!

Twas another great day volunteering! My sleeping schedule has been working beautifully, If anything jet lag worked to my advantage. I go to sleep around 10:30 and wake up on my own at around 6:30 and am ready for breakfast by 7:30am! That would never happen in Utah.

The volunteering was hard work today though. I spent the entire day making a pool for the black bear, Che Buh. We have an outline of the pool in dirt, we spent the whole time shoveling dirt into her cage it, and it was harder work than it sounds. We
used a wheelbarrow with banana tree leaves for the bottom since the wheelbarrow is holey, and we transported several mounds of dirt this way. The leafs aren't durable at all so we had to machete a lot of leaves off for it to work. I think she's really going to enjoy it though, she has to get hot with all that fur. Just the dirt mound in place made her happy, she rolled around in it like a happy puppy.

It was the hottest day yet as well, and with the most bugs. I HAVE to work shirtless, otherwise my shirt just gets absolutely drenched in sweat. The bugs were horrible! I have like 5 bites in on spot on my Achilles tendon. I went to use he bathroom and on the wall I honestly saw the biggest spider I've ever seen in my life. It was bigger than my hand, it was outrageous I got out of there fast.

Afterwork, Tong picked us up from our project in the songtail. Tong is the funniest, most easygoing person ever. He has a laugh like Kevin (I think) from Bonsai, and he never stops smiling. Apparently he's a huge flirt too, and he always gives friendly honks to passersby. He always comes with fruit to share as well. Today he brought us a really sour fruit I can't remember the name of, I'll post a pic of it though.

When I got to my bungalow it stated downpouring harder than it ever has since I've been here. I saw people playing in the rain outside so I joined them. It got really muddy so Damien (my project leader) and I wrestled a little in the mud and started doing the worm. I really had fun doing that. I could have been a bum and stayed in my bungalow, but sometimes you just gotta go for it and not care about getting dirty.

That's all for today folks, luckily for us we get a two day break to have fun. Lots of fun plans are in store,
Including a stay on a floating village on a lake so I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. You can cross "do the worm during a monsoon in a small village in northern Thailand" off of your bucket list.

    I'm so stinkin' proud of you and love you so much! Miss you and I love what you are doing. Enjoy your days off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, what Red Hairdoos just said.

    ReplyDelete