Saturday, July 14, 2012

My 2 day break

The last two days were much needed after a week of hard volunteer work. Our tour leader Damien suggested we stay the night at a bungalow on the lake: of course we said yes. So yesterday we took an hour long, cramped car ride to a national park and we arrived at a lake marina. The boats were too small for all of us so I stayed behind with others for 20 minutes until the next boat came to take us out. In the meantime I enjoyed a delicious chocolate sundae:).

The boat came and took us on a scenic boat ride to our bungalow. It was cool seeing houses perched on or right next to the lake on the way. Once we arrived I was pretty amazed at what I saw. Just as expected, the structure wasn't attached to land! But it was much bigger than I expected, it was comprised of several houses all connected by wooden walkways and planks. It stretched out for quiet a while it was pretty cool. It was just bizarre, it's really hard to explain. Once aboard I was showed my room, I liked that I could just basically wake up, walk out the door and dive off the porch if I wanted to. The bathroom was insanely primitive though, in the corner a hole is exposed for people to look in and there was no toilet paper, just a bowl of water to splash yourself with... It was interesting. After exploring the boat and taking pictures, we all went swimming and dove off of the tower. All around the lake were a bunch more floating houses, one in particular had really loud, funny karaoke going on all night.

After the fun day at the bungalow we came back to the mainland and spent most of the day at a beautiful waterfall. This waterfall blew me away! Like the last waterfall we went to, the rocks are limestone and weren't slippery at all, except this one was 1000x better. It's not the fact that its one massive fall that makes this one cool, it's how long it is and how far down the hill it went. There'd be tiers upon tiers of different fun climbing sections. You can climb anywhere you want on the falls because it's not slippery. Little tracts of the falls would cut off and you could climb down/up theses as well on grippy limestone through all the trees. The area was beautiful too, it was extremely green surrounded by towering trees. Unfortunately my phone was dead today so I don't have pictures to upload, but I took many pictures with my regular camera!

It's probably time for bed now! Volunteer work starts again tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. VERY, VERY cool. The bathroom is just all apart of this amazing experience. I have heard the public bathrooms in China are just holes dug in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bathrooms are horrible! It is a part of the experience but I don't like them! This one is nice too actually, some are squat toilets and that's not a comfortable poo at all

    ReplyDelete