Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Free day at Railay beach

I'm finding that writing before dinner is the way I'll have to blog from now on. To recap what happened after scuba diving, Milk took us to an awesome restaurant outside on a wooden dock with little cushions on the ground to sit on and a low lying table. They had plenty of western foods like pasta and pizza on the menu, which I almost took advantage of. I decided on something more adventurous instead, so I got barracuda with fried curry: it was pretty good.

After dinner we watched some Thais perform a fire show, spinning around flaming sticks and throwing them in the air. They would be spinning to dub step music, once the drop hit they'd go crazy, it was fun to watch. The rest of the night was spent dancing and getting paint all over me.

Today was our free day in Railay beach, which I took full advantage of. I woke up at around 7am feeling very nautious and sick, it really scared me: I'm way nervous about getting travels diarrhea. It felt like the early stages of getting sick though, so I headed to breakfast and loaded my plate up with nothing but fruit with a glass of OJ. This seemed to do the trick, I feel fine now (I hope that did the trick).

Today I ended up doing some rock climbing. It was only one short climb, but It's all I needed: I can't be at Railay beach and not do it. It was a pretty easy climb with a lot of foot and hand holds.

After that, 4 of us took a steep, muddy, and scrambley hike up one of the mountains to see the island Lagoon and viewpoint. We saw the viewpoint first, which was beautiful. A long the way people were telling us it's basically impossible to get to the lagoon because to get there you have to slide down a rope on a cliff and hope you don't die. We got there and a big group of people were at this "cliff", looking hesitantly at it. It was probably a 15-20 foot steep ledge, there were two ropes with knots you could scramble down. It wasn't as bad as people made it sound, i think the fact that it was wet from the rain made people uneasy about it. Jake and Lora went down with almost no hesitation. I was up there about 15 minutes, succumbing a little to the cautions of the naysayers. A guy eventually scrambled down the rope I wanted to try and I closely observe his technique. Soon after I got the courage and scrambled down the rope, following how the other guy did it. After a few more rope scrambles down lie a beautiful lagoon worth the work getting too. I wasn't able to take a decent picture of it, it's a place where pictures do it no justice at all. The lagoon wad surrounded by towering limestone walls on all sides, it was like swimming in a giant cup. It was just unreal and amazing.

After a muddy scramble out of the lagoon and back to the beach, the 4 of us were just covered in mud. We took a dip in the ocean followed by a nice shower to get cleaned off. On the way back I saw a huge family of macaque monkeys. Just ate a banana and chocolate Thai pancake, and now I'm relaxing on my bed. I'd say the free day was well spent

No comments:

Post a Comment